Search This Blog

Sunday 15 November 2009

Begin at the beginning...

So I have entered the electronic age and started a web-log (which, rather revealingly, triggers the words "Captain's log" the voice of Patrick Stewart in my head).

What makes me so special, you may very well ask? Who are you that random web-surfers would wish to read your musings on life, the universe and everything; let alone what you had for breakfast this morning? (Pancakes and bacon with maple syrup, FYI.) The answer lies in the name of this page- on which I deliberated for some time. The "Peculiar" part comes from a variant dictionary definition of the word, namely "a property or privilege belonging exclusively or characteristically to a person" (courtesy of dictionary.com). The "exposition" bit comes from another secondary meaning of the word, in this case "the act of expounding, setting forth, or explaining" (ibid.). Basically, what I am attempting to do is find a place for my personal trials, tribulations and perhaps even the occasional triumph, and to have it all on display for anyone who might be interested.

Will this blogging project involve a daily entry, complete with quasi-professional accompanying photo? Not likely. Am I likely to get bored with it and quit after three posts? Very possibly! But I currently feel the need to have a place to share my deepest thoughts with the world at large instead of friends and family on Facebook (too many distracting games and applications on there, anyway!) so this is the result. I hope you enjoy it. Then again, I hope I do, too!

There is another reason why I am moving to a more public forum and that is I am in the embryonic stages of starting a little cottage-industry business, and have been inspired by other similar blogs. My idea involves patchwork quilting, which- I am the first to admit- is a new thing to me entirely! However I have done various crafts, in particular cross-stitching, for a number of years, and think that it would suit not only my own skills and talents but also (hopefully) make me a little living which I can fit in with everything else.

I suppose a little background is called for here. I was born in Canada and now live in the UK with my British husband. Poor health has resulted in me being home-based for the foreseeable future, hence the burgeoning business. I enjoy cooking, intelligent television and craftwork. Pet hates include bad spelling (so feel free to pick me up on any mistakes I make here), ignorance and anything to do with Christmas before December 1st (after then is fair game!). I welcome comments, critiques and healthy debate, but let's keep it civilised, and the first person to comment with "first" gets banned!

No comments:

Post a Comment